Today was an exciting day! Embryo transfer day! I had to keep telling myself to calm down, I was so beside myself with eagerness this morning!
We arrived for our appointment at 10:45am and were briefed by our doctor. He talked about the original number of eggs (11) and of those eleven that fertilized (8) said they were way above the average number. Today we were down to 6 still growing and dividing, (the other two had just slowed down a bit and were behind the others) he said 6 was still a very high number, in fact, he said things couldn't be better! Our Embryos were of very high quality too, not perfect which none usually are, but right up there. Typically at this point most people would have 3 or less left, at least as far as the statistics show for this clinic.
Jeff and I are feeling so positive about this whole process! We decided, with the advice of our doctor to transfer 2 embryos at the "morula" stage back to my uterus.
Dr. gave me some Valium to calm my nerves and relax me and we went in to the procedure room.
Even with my eyes trying to close and drugs making me sleepy, I watched intently the process of embryo transfer. And I tell you what, if you know how neat and special it is to hear your baby's heartbeat and see their little gummy bear shape for the first time, I think this maybe even cooler! For me at least!
Jeff and I watched on a flat screen T.V. and on the ultrasound screen got to see our perfectly round little embryos as the Dr. transferred them to my body from a petri dish (really a petri dish!) using a teeny tiny catheter! It was amazing! It was magical, it was miraculous! I can't believe this process is even possible and that I got to take part in it! Wow! It brought me to tears, tears of joy, tears of hope and fear, tears of love and excitement! What an experience to see LIFE in its beginning stages! 5 days old! And to actually watch and feel as this new little life is placed in you to care and nurture! It's just so cool!
Afterwards, the Dr. showed us on the ultrasound the little spot of white in my uterus that contains our "babies". He told us there is about a 35% chance of us having twins. And a 68-70% success rate of pregnancy!!!
My instructions for returning home were very straight forward and simple. The first 5 days are most important and I should rest and lay in bed or on the couch getting up only for a shower or bathroom break. Then for the next 12 days he told me to be really lazy, read books, watch movies, no housework, no walking about, no shopping, not even crab walking!(bwahaha) :) ;) That may be difficult to be so lazy with 3 little kids, but it will be very worth it!
I return to the clinic on Sunday the 17th for a blood draw and pregnancy test! :)
Thank you again to our dear family and friends for helping our family through this! We couldn't have done it alone and have relied on you so much! It has been even more special to share our journey with you! We love you!
All drugged up as I was, my honey still took me to my favorite restaurant. P.F. Chang's (with special permission from the doctor of course) to celebrate our halfway to pregnant status! :)









So so cool Jen and Jeff. Thanks for sharing your awesome experience! we love you, your in our prayers always!
ReplyDelete