Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Our IVF Story Part II (Preparation for the Process)

In our September screening with Dr. Hammoud, we found via ultrasound that I had a large cyst on my right ovary, we were told that typically these cysts go away on their own, but that this one was so large I would likely need to have surgery!!! What? Oh no! Dr Hammoud referred me back to my gynecologist to set up a surgery date with specific instructions to not allow her to perform the surgery unless she was 100 percent confident she wouldn't hurt my ovary. If she was not confident, then Dr. Hammoud said he would do it. I was once again devastated. It was me holding us back now and I felt horrible. I could empathize better for how Jeff was feeling about everything and just put all my faith and trust in Heavenly Father.
After seeing my doctor, she put me on birth control and said to come back in another month to see if the cyst was shrinking or growing. If it was shrinking we would just wait until it went away, but if it was larger in a month she would do surgery. She said she was pretty sure I'd be in surgery.
In the meantime I was to see Dr. Hammoud again to see how things were going. Mind you each ultrasound costs $750.00! Plus a consultation is another $450.00! The bills were already starting to add up and this was all extra, not included in the total IVF cost! So I set up a payment plan and tried not to freak out!
When I saw Dr. Hammoud in October I was shaking I was so nervous. My dad and Jeff had given me a blessing the night before and blessed me that even if I had surgery things would be alright. I told Dr Hammoud that I had been praying for the cyst to just go away. He checked me via ultrasound and surprisingly said, " Well Jennifer it looks like your prayers have been answered!" the cyst had completely gone away! I was elated! We could continue with the screening process!
The next step was to get all our blood work done so they could check if we were healthy enough. All of that came back normal for both of us to our relief, and we had the option of beginning our cycle in November, but we decided to wait until December and continue with birth control. When December came,the clinic told us we could rush and get our cycle in before they do a deep cleaning or we could wait until after they cleaned. We decided to wait again until after. ( doesn't it sound better to go to a freshly deep cleaned clinic?) this was good too because it gave us time to prepare our finances.
We went in to our bank to do a home equity credit line loan. We have good equity in our home and felt like this was a really good reason to use it. However, when we went through the loan process, they denied us the loan because we couldn't afford the payments based on our income. Plus our income level pushed us into a higher interest bracket putting our interest at 9.5 percent! We really couldn't afford that! Now what? We just had to get creative. Luckily we had purchased our Yukon this summer and had a good low interest rate on it at 2.9 percent. We went in again to see if we could take out a loan against it. Again, even with excellent credit and equity in the vehicle we were denied. It's so frustrating because we really feel like this is what we are supposed to do. Why then isn't it working out? Our last option was to ask Jeff's parents to co-sign with us on the loan on our Yukon. We are so thankful they did too because we were able to get the loan and have the money ready for our January cycle! Only adding a large payment to our lives. :(
We are moving forward feeling so blessed to have helpful family, and a loving Father in heaven who knows what is best for us. (we are banking on Jeff getting hired as a nurse as soon as he graduates so we can pay off our debt). We both feel like now is the time to do this, and to move forward in life without any regrets. Besides, people spend a lot more than $18,000 on a car, right? This feels like a very worthy sacrifice! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment