Thursday, January 31, 2013

Our IVF Story part IV (Egg Retrieval and Sperm Aspiration)

Today was a great day! We got 11 eggs! Good thing too, it was feeling like Easters inside me these past few days!
We drove down with my parents this morning leaving at 4:30 am. The roads were clear and we got there in record time, (about 30 minutes early). We signed all kinds of consent forms and then got prepped for surgery. Poor Jeff was first and the nurse just couldn't get his vein for the IV. 4 pokes later and a lot of vein slapping and it was in. He is really brave about that stuff, but I was about to pass out watching it all happen, knowing I was next!
When the urologist arrived he took Jeff in the operating room and I waited in anticipation.
In the meantime, the nurse who did Jeff's IV decided she didn't want to do mine so a different nurse came in for me. I was relieved until I realized it was going to be the same for me as it was for Jeff!! :( She had the turnicut on my lower arm and began slapping my veins. Ahhh! I can't stand that! I just closed my eyes and told myself to take deep breaths. I really thought I was going to pass out! After trying to "snag" and "fish" (yes, she really used those words!) for 2 veins on that hand, she took the needle out and said,"lets try your other hand". Same story there. In fact, my hand was falling asleep and turning blue when she said she had to milk my veins a little!!! She had me hang my hand down towards the floor and then she squatted down low to the ground and massaged the blood down into my hand!!! I was just dying! I've never had a problem with IV's! Finally, finally, finally, she got it in and all was well. I really hate that part!
Right before they were to take me into my procedure room, Jeff's doctor came out all done! He was grinning the biggest grin and giving two vigorous thumbs up! He was so happy about Jeff's biopsy. He said Jeff fell right to sleep, then lifted his head and asked,"whats your name again?" then went right back to sleep. haha! He slept through it all! The Dr. was happy they were able to get a lot of sperm from one tiny incision. Looking out for my husband I told Dr. That Jeff really doesn't want to be sent home with an empty sack...you know...just sayin'. He laughed and joked in return, "well I did remove one testicle, just to calm him down a bit and make him more mellow for ya at home." haha!

I went into my surgery in good spirits and everything seemed to happen so fast! Before I knew it I was sound asleep in a wonderful dream. I awoke to what seemed like a nurse's face an inch from my face saying they got 11 eggs! Wow 11! Their average is 9 so 11 is fantastic! They helped me to a recovery room where I told one of the nurses several times that I thought she looked so pretty today! :) (at least I was nice coming off of the drugs!)
They brought Jeff in and we both smiled at each other and rested for a while in our chairs and matching gowns.
Dr. Hammoud peaked in and with a big smile asked, "do you want to have twins? You have 11 really good eggs!" Of course I said yes, because each embryo has a 50% chance, but we don't really have to decide that at this point anyway. I think I'm leaning toward two just to up the chances of having one. I don't want to be sent home with an empty nest!
The little eggs will all be fertilized today through a process called ICSI (intra cytoplasmic sperm injection, where a single sperm is injected into an egg) then, they are placed inside their own Petri dishes and incubated for a few days. On Saturday we will get a phone call from the embryologist who will give details about how many are growing and how healthy they are. If a bunch die off, we may have one or two transferred back in my uterus on Sunday. If 8 or more are surviving and doing well, we will wait until day 5 and transfer one or two on that day. So far we are planning on the day five transfer falling on Tuesday, February 5th.
Two weeks after the transfer, I will have a blood test to see if I'm pregnant!
It's so neat to see the beginnings of life from this point! I am amazed at what heavenly inspired medical technology can do along with good doctors and nurses.
We are feeling very optimistic and can't wait for that call on Sat!
I do begin progesterone shots in my bum tonight. :( They warned me that these will make me really sore, and if I get pregnant I will continue them for another 6 weeks!
Gotta be brave! Wish I wasn't such a wimp!
Thanks for all the love support and prayers!
Jeff's dad and brother Eric gave us blessings last night, which helped us feel calm and reassured that we are doing the right thing. The boys got to sleep over at Grammy's house and were really good for her, they had a blast! We couldn't be more thankful and full of gratitude towards our friends and families! What a testimony of service your examples are to us! Thank you and we love you! :)






1 comment: